Bathroom mold is a very common occurrence in the home due to the high amount of moisture. Most bathrooms have some mold or mildew accumulating around the shower or sink. Every time an area gets wet and takes several hours to dry, mold is allowed to proliferate. As this cycle is repeated daily, you will start to see visible growth.
Top three spots for Bathroom Mold are:
- The shower/tub tile and grout
- Walls and ceiling
- In, behind, and under the sink
How to Get Rid of Mold in Bathroom
Shower and tub mold removal is relatively easy as the sealed tile or fiberglass around your shower is non-porous. Check out the DIY Mold Removal Products for more household mold remediation products, but the Badger’s favorite product for shower, sink and tub mold removal is a bleach solution. Since the mold growth is only on the surface, bleach is great at killing the mold and whitening is an added bonus.
If the mold is behind the caulk and will not come clean, apply a hydrogen peroxide solution generously and allow it to sit to see if it can work its way in the tiny crevices.
For material specific instructions, please check out our articles for:
Mold on Bathroom Ceiling or Walls
Widespread mold growth on the walls and ceiling is usually due to poor ventilation. Current building codes require every bathroom to have a fan that vents to the outside of the house. Many do not, or merely vent into the attic, which can cause attic mold problems.
Every time you take a shower and the bathroom fills up with water vapor, you are giving mold its ideal environment for growth. This is why the growth appears throughout the room and heavily on the ceiling where hot, moist air lingers for a longer time. To prevent humidity lingering in your bathroom, run a bathroom fan during your shower and for an hour afterward to ensure all the moist air is removed from the room.
Cleaning mold on drywall is tricky as it is a highly porous surface, meaning it not only grows on your drywall but grows roots into it as well. If the wall is painted and the mold is due to poor ventilation, the mold may be confined to the surface, as the paint barrier can block it from growing into the tiny sheetrock holes. If this is the case, you may choose to use a DIY mold cleaner, wipe down all the walls, and repaint the room.
If you choose the DIY route, please consider follow up mold testing or an inspection to be certain you remediated all of the molds. If the mold has permeated the wall, you may need to call in a professional to remove and repair the damage.